Thursday, December 30, 2010

Emergency Medical Services (EMS)

**I took the test last night and I am confident that I passed the written however I may have failed the practicals. My nerves got the better of me and I couldn't get my calm, collective aura back. I know I failed the KED practical and I WILL be practicing with the BBVRS crew on how to operate one. I haven't ever put one on by myself. It was always myself stuck holding c-spine therefore, never quite getting the full steps. I plan to know this better when I redo it. I will find out all the results next week, mid-week. I am not the only one who's nerves got the better of them. It was a truly stressful night. I had spent 12 hours at the squad the day before until 6 a.m. that morning, went straight to work for 6 hours, and then to the testing site. I didn't get to test my practicals until about 9:30 p.m. and I was truly too tired at that point. I couldn't function and my nerves had an easy go at my heart! But, alas, they allow us up to 90 days to retest the portion failed. I imagine this is a common thing. If we all had a switch for our nerves, our beautiful minds could operate! I am a great EMT, I think on my toes, but I am also a very visual person. The practicals are NOT visual. They are all roleplaying which is the part I find the hardest. Wish me luck on my retest on January 27th! I'll still be running at the squad and practicing. Practice makes perfect!

Emergency Medical Technician (Basic)

This seems to be my current and new path in life. I am still working on becoming a Nurse in the emergency room but, this is my first stop on the medical and life-saving journey. Tonight, is a very big night for myself, and many other students on Chesterfield, VA and surrounding cities. Tonight, we will be taking our EMT-Basic exam. It consists of four parts. The written assement in which you must past 70%, then three scenarios: The Trauma Assessment, the Medical assessment, and the Random Skill which could be anything from splinting, removal of patient from car, controlling bleeding, to airway suctioning. We are evaluated using sheets in which we must gain points. There are critical points in which if we miss certain ones can automatically fail us. According to my teacher, Mr. Nevetral, our nerves will be in 'shock' mode. We will forget our names, we will stumble a little bit, but I have learned that you can do a lot in 10 minutes (per physical assessment) and to take a deep breath, calm my nerves, and get to it! There haven't been too many live scenarios that I have run with Bensley-Bermuda Rescue Squad. I am screaming for the experience but it's been difficult to get hours lately. I plan on becoming affiliated with more than one squad. I feel alive when I can help someone and save someone's life. I love working alongside the firefighters and the paramedics. I feel part of my community and I feel like I am worth something in this life.

Wish me the best of luck on the exam tonight! I ran at the station last night to hopefully have some calls but we had a 'dud' call. We got there and everyone was fine, which is great considering how bad the car looked, but... I could've used some experience and practice.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck tonight! I'm sure you'll do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I didn't quite pass it this time around but next time I will. I know more of what to expect now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...