Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The problem with smell identification.

Dear God,

I really wish that African Soft Furred rats did not eat their young. The idea that a mother can not recognize her young by visual is hard for a human to swallow. But, then again, all AFS can look the same as can mice. Unfortunately, mama AFS or daddy AFS ate her teenager. I didn't find any remains. And, I know she had food. So, I had to research the reason why...so that perhaps I can swallow it a bit better.

It turns out it was my fault or my 'not knowing'. The mother isn't familiar with me and the baby boy had been held by me for a few days so he could become friendly. Well, the cage didn't have 'their' smell enough for him to regain his scent. It turns out the mother found him to be a threat because I was a threat. So, for a while, I plan not to hold the babies. AFS bite (a lot) too. They are more 'visual' pets than the hold-me, love-me cuddle-type. I am not mad at her. It is only her nature.

R.I.P. little teenager. I am sorry, I wish I had known better. I do now. Hopefully, mommy rat doesn't find it necessary with the babies. They will be rehomed soon. They just started walking around and are almost of age to leave mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...